The Home Inspection Report
The goal of a home inspection by an independent home inspector is to identify potential significant expenses that would affect a typical purchaser’s buying decision. Most buyers will make their offer to purchase “subject to a satisfactory home inspection” and, to be safe rather than sorry. Some sellers may have an inspection before putting their house on the market. The seller can then make the necessary repairs ahead of time in order to get the property sold faster and potentially for more money.
What is covered in a home inspection?
1. Kitchen – besides check out the obvious (counters, cabinets, appliances, etc.) an inspector will examine the area to see if there are any damages, leaks, faulty wiring, etc.; appliances will be checked for working order.
2. Bathrooms – Condition of grout and tiles, check for leaks or drainage problems, or cracks in toilets, check CFGI outlet operation, fans, water pressure and water volume.
3. Plumbing – Check the pipes, drains, vents and hot water tank, check for leaks or drainage problems, water pressure.
4. Laundry Facilities – Confirm the machines work property, check the drains, check vents.
5. Heating – Furnace, thermostat, ducting, filters.
6. Electrical System – Service size, grounding of all components, panel and breaker condition, code compliant.
7. Site Condition and Drainage – Does the property have a steep grade? Condition of retaining walls, drain tile functional, patio settling, sidewalk and driveway condition.
8. Exterior Surfaces – Siding, wall condition, mildew or dry rot, paint condition, doors and windows.
9. Decks, Porches, Stairs – Safe, solid, railings to code, no settling or rot, cement cracking.
10. Roof, Gutters, Flashing, Chimney – General condition, clogging, remaining life.
11. Interior Walls, Ceilings, Floors – Cracks, leaks, staining, mildew, signs of settling.
12. Attic, Roof – Access, moisture or mildew, ventilation, rafter and insulation check, is there asbestos present?
13. Fireplace – Flues, dampers, chimney liners, gas lines, safety, related dampness.
14. Ventilation, Condensation – Check crawlspace, bathrooms, attic, etc. for moisture, mould, mildew or dry rot.
15. Foundation, Basement – Cracks, settling, insulation, drainage problems, sump, insects.